Fixer Blog

Curtis Mohan's weblog.

Monday, July 13, 2009

MONIKER.COM - A Well-Justified Advertisement

For the first time, my blog shall host an advertisement written by me. You know how some people write blog posts to shame or bash companies? I've done it. But now it's time to give something back.

I got very good service from the domain registrar Moniker.com (www.moniker.com). Really really good service. Unnecessarily good service. Literally.

One of my domains was registered with this company. And honestly I felt that their services, while certainly robust, were not a good match. So I transferred out to another registrar.

To make a long story short, I forgot to turn off Moniker's "domain name privacy" settings, and ended up losing ownership of my own domain. The contacts and e-mail address listed still showed the old privacy service that I was no longer using and Moniker had no reason to maintain. Oops. My bad. My really big bad.

The new registrar, of course, had no ability to correct it for me, as that would be a contravention of ICANN domain rules. So I was basically up a creek without any real means of regaining control of my own domain name.

With a total lack of other options, I contacted Moniker support. To my surprise, Moniker, who had absolutely no compelling reason to use their resources to help me leave their service, was very very helpful. Their support staff connected me with a data centre engineer in Los Angeles, who re-activated the "privacy forwarder" and sent me all of the confirmation e-mails necessary to accept the domain ownership change.

I thought this was remarkable because they probably spent several hours of paid time to help someone even though it really was no required.

So if you are a business who needs to do something like manage a large number of domains, check out Moniker. Their service is good. Really good. You can trust me on this one. :)

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home